Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Souffle Aux Epinards

Egg whites beat until stiff
It has been almost 2 years since I've blogged about my cooking.  Most of it is because I got extremely busy with work, and I no longer took joy in cooking.  I still cooked dinner for my family, but it wasn't adventurous or fabulous.  

Buttered pan with parmesan cheese sprinkled on
Now that my job has settled (I have a new position), and summer is cresting, cooking is once again becoming my passion.  Since I needed to make a new menu for the next week, I decided it was time to break out the Mastering the Art of French Cooking and have a little chat with Julia.  She guided me through the book quickly, touching on some interesting recipes that I have not yet tried.  

My family loves quiche and souffle, and they love fresh spinach.  There really isn't anything like fresh spinach.  Frozen spinach is disgusting, but fresh is delightful.  Tonight's dinner was spinach souffle (how do I get the accents in my text?), and it did not disappoint.  My boy, who is super picky and can hardly eat anything healthy, LOVED this meal.  In fact, after he ate his piece, he stated the obvious: there was no more souffle.


Free range eggs

True to this Julia's fashion, I did manage to mess up this recipe just a tad.  I was supposed to add the boiling milk to the butter/flour mixture, but I jumped ahead in the recipe and started adding the egg yolk first.  I only got one yolk in, but it was enough to scramble it with the hot butter/flour mixture.  My daughter had to jump up and pop a cup of milk into the microwave while I continued to stir the butter/flour/egg mixture.  I added the boiling milk, then the eggs.  This got a little thick, so then I was able to follow the rest of the recipe.  Although my souffle did not rise above the top edge of the dish, it still tasted fabulous.  Ahhh, I'm so happy to be cooking French food again!


It fell fast!


2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I wondered what happened to your cooking. Glad to see you back in the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've cooked French recipes for a week, I've been reminded why I stopped. It is a LOT of work! What should take an hour takes 3. However, the results are worth it, giving us restaurant-worthy meals.

      Delete