Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Twist on Roast Beef Sandwiches



Last night's dinner was supposed to be roast beef and havarti on sourdough bread sandwiches. However, noone in town (or this end of town) had a loaf of sourdough, so we had to settle for sourdough bread bowls from Panera. Oh, how I love Panera. Their bread is always the perfect blend of soft chewiness inside of a perfect thin, crunchy layer. Anyway, my husband brought home 4 bread bowls, figuring I could do something with them. And boy, did I! I saw a recipe for bacon/cheddar pull-apart bread where a large round loaf of sourdough was used. I figured we could still have roast beef and cheese and sourdough bread, just in a different way.

I cut across each bread bowl one way and then another, without cutting all the way through so that I had long cubes (or rectangles) of bread. Next, I stuffed each bowl with roast beef, havarti, a little Franconian mustard (only found in Frankenmuth) and green onion. I then popped them into the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes. They were so good and so fun to eat!

1 comment: