Thursday, September 15, 2011

Boeuf a la Catalane


Today was another glorious fall day....perfect for stew. This dish was different from the other dishes I've made so far because it is one that has a Spanish flair. In fact, it comes from the Spanish-Mediterranean corner of France. Translated, it means beef stew with rice, onions, and tomatoes.

True to Julia fashion, I once again had to brown the stew meat before throwing the casserole together. There are just a few ingredients, which made this recipe easy to assemble. I started it at 3:00 this afternoon, and it was ready by 6:00. There were three steps: Cook the beef in the oven with the wine (white instead of red), beef broth and onions for an hour; add tomatoes and cook for another hour; add the rice and cook for 20 minutes. The smell was out of this world, and the kids kept telling me how great it smelled in the house. I can tell you that it tastes as good as it smells!

Ha! You know what? I just realized that I managed to mess up this recipe, too! I guess I should rename it beef stew with rice and tomatoes.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! The name of this dish also explains where Catalina salad dressing gets its name. I especially like the naughty bits of cheese on top. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete